It stands far to the south of Camano Island's oldest churches. In a wooded hillside setting near the Island's tip: Mabana Union Sunday School has served the community since the early part of the 20th century. One Sunday, in March 1912, a small group of settlers met in a clearing in the woods near the Jay Brooks home. A large stump served as an altar. There Mabana Union Sunday School was organized by C. A. Dolph. There were no roads and the people used trails and skid roads.
In 1913 they were given the use of a one-room cabin and in 1920 the Sunday School was reorganized under the auspices of the American Sunday School Union. In the 1960's members led by Bernie Dallman began work on their own building and it was dedicated on Easter Sunday 1964. On May 6th, 1985, the name was changed to Mabana Chapel.
 The American Sunday School Union was founded in Philadelphia in 1824. Its missionaries established well over 70,000 new Sunday Schools during the nineteenth century. -- Mark A Noll, A History of Christianity in the United States and Canada, pp. 229-230.